I've never done a floral tutorial. So, bear with me. It's so hard to put together great floral tutorials when they're already out there. I tried to pull some research together, so my tutorial has credibility. But as I researched, I realized there was not much out there in the art of dried floral arrangements. There was one, however, that shined above the rest.
Nesters, of course.
Having said that, I know she would shutter in the thought of my tutorial, but just in case you're low on money, but need a quick and easy arrangement for a newly painted front door, here ya go:
To start, gather your cast of characters. You'll need your door bucket, some foam, a few dried floral pieces, a neutral silk flower, some moss, and a wire cutter.

The first thing I did was grab up this door hanger. I love door pockets, and I really like this little guy, but the gold aspect did nothing for me. So, I bought a 97 cent can of spray paint, and went to town.

There, much better.
Then, I placed a piece of styrofoam in the pocket, to act as foam. Because, honestly, I forgot about getting one at the store, and this piece was leftover from opening Christmas presents, and I said to myself, "Self, you could reuse that 'damaging to the environment' piece of styrofoam and call it recycling, and be GREEN all at the same time!"
So I did.

The next thing I did was take out that grass, because I know
Nester would roll over in her bed over this one, but I really liked the bear grass on my door, because driving by, you couldn't see how really bad it looked, right?
Okay, I threw away the grass.
Next, place moss over your foam, to hide it's tackiness.

I just used a small bag of moss I picked up at the local "Get It For a Dollar" store.

Next, the fun begins. Start with your main flower, the one (or ones) you want to show off. I know this should've been a dried flower, but I really liked these really tiny hydrangea-looking flowers. They were $2 at the local department store, and with wire cutters, give 'em a good stem and take off all the leaves. I decided to leave the two leaves closest to the flower on these. I know they're not ideal, but the only part you would see would be bits of white, NOT all that green plastic. Just bear with me...

And, into the door pocket you go!

It starts out kinda sporadic, but we'll add fillers in between to really jazz it up. Fillers? Where are those really cool fillers? Ahh. . . THERE YOU ARE! I felt like I'd REALLY found a GOOD DEAL when I picked these up at Fred's for about $5. And, I believe I just about used every bit of it.

I sorted them out by like-items, then starting with the biggest piece (that artichoke-looking thing I just adore!), I started layering and stuffing. Oh, I also took that tacky green grass-looking stuff off the artichoke.... how strange was that!?

We're getting there! Lastly, I started to stuff the natural ting in there, because I'm a girl, and ting is a word we like to use in our tutorials when we're giving tutorials, because that's just who we are. Ting-lovers.

OOOh! I'm SOOOO excited now! Let's get it on the door and see how it looks!

Here it is before:

And, TAAAA-DAAAAAAAAHH!!! The after!

Maybe if
Nester drives by, she won't wreck over those white hydrangeas. But I'll bet cha she'd forgive me! Oh, how fun this $10-$15 project was! I think I just might "tutorial" again sometime!! Be brave, use what ya got, and Design a Door Pocket You Love!!
Amy,
ReplyDeleteThis turned out wonderful and I love your new black painted door. Very chic!
~Cathy~
I for one LOVE a black door! You did a fantabulous job with it and with the door bucket! That's a Southern Living door bucket too. Nice find! Love your flower arrangement, looks awesome for summertime! I need to spruce mine up a bit. I did it in a hurry and you can't see the flowers from the road. Our house sits back just a bit, so I have to go very bold, and very BIG.
ReplyDeleteThanks for visiting today!
~Misti
I love this! My front porch could use one of these!
ReplyDelete