As I'm browsing through clips of my favorite blogs, I notice Sandy has posted about a comment I left on her blog.
ARE YOU KIDDING ME She's like TOTALLY famous, and I was gushing about the confidence she gave me last week to actually HOST a party, when I'm really not an entertainer. I rarely entertain. But I wish I was more like her. Here's my story:
My hubby and I are very busy people. I know this is a real solid statement, right? I mean, isn't EVERYONE busy? Well, not counting sleep, I usually only spend about four waking hours a day in my home.
FOUR.
With a full-time job as an assistant in an arena, a family of four to track down, and lots of priorities everywhere across the board (schoolwork, which I finished up my degree LAST WEEK!!, church activities such as Sunday School, Extended Session for preschoolers, childrens choir, women's retreat, and the like...), I'm officially in OVERLOAD all the time.
And, to let you in on a little secret. . .
MY HOME SUFFERS BECAUSE OF IT.
Yep. I said it. My home isn't up to par as I wish it were. I would absolutely LOVE to spend lots of time and energy on it, when actually the honest truth is I have a tough time as it is keeping all my balls in the air.
And, I fail miserably a lot. Like, A LOT.
Because of this busy lifestyle, my hubby and I don't entertain a lot. And we have sort of settled into an existence at home where we keep the clothes on our backs washed, and even cook occasionally, and clean up the dishes, and every now and again we dust and vacuum.
But we do not, I repeat DO NOT, entertain. What if someone really noticed the way we lived?
So, we continue to live this way, and it becomes a vicious cycle. We don't entertain because the dishes are piled up in the sink. I could take care of the dishes, but then there's the laundry pile that all of a sudden showed up in the livingroom... ??? Then, there's the kids, and the hubby, and the dog, and there are those darn dishes again...
We could NEVER entertain.
Until last week.
That's right. Last week, my hubby and I RELUCTANTLY invited our new neighbors over for dinner. The meal wasn't fancy. . . just burgers and hot dogs on the grill. I fixed a side of oriental salad, and an easy dessert I'll share with you TOMORROW that would make your toes curl up in your shoes with envy. I've even put that dessert together in the back of my Tahoe heading to a church function.
But it was SOOOO worth it! It's that good, and THAT easy!
And, you know what? I even had a few dishes in the sink. That's right! When my company came over, I had vacuumed, I removed one small pile of laundry from the floor and into the washing machine (just to get it out of the way, and yeah, that's how I roll), but didn't finish those dishes before I heard the doorbell.
And I did what I never thought my little state of mind would ever let me do. I very reluctantly opened the door and invited my new neighbors over for dinner.
You know what? The funniest thing happened. My new neighbors commented on how well put together my home was. (What? Are you kidding me!?) They not only commented about it, but they KEPT commenting about it... like more than twice! I didn't understand it... I was confused. I thought at first the wife was trying to be funny... or just complimentary, just to be nice.
Almost to the point of frustration, I asked, "Why are you being so complimentary about my home? It's filthy!! Look at this horizontal surface! You can't even see it!! And the dishes!! Didn't you notice them??? And the countertop here in my kitchen! Aren't you appalled at how I LIVE!!?!"
"I DIDN'T EVEN DUST!!" I almost yelled it before I could help myself. I really like these new neighbors of mine, but I wanted to keep it real. If we were to build a lasting friendship, they needed to know how "off my rocker" I really am. I mean, there's no faking it. I'm really great about pointing out my flaws. And, I thought it would be best to really start our new friendship out right by pointing out mine, even before our "first date" was over.
You know what happened? She didn't run out the door in tears. She wasn't appalled at my home. She really and truly loved it. And, we even had the new neighbors over for dinner a "second date." Hubby and I went out with them AGAIN this past weekend (without kids! Like REAL PEOPLE do!) and we are having a ball with our new neighbors. They're truly great people and I'm so glad Sandy gave me the courage to just LET GO. Let go of all the reluctant feelings I felt about inviting people over, and focus on more important things...
Like inviting new friends over for dinner, dirty dishes and all.
It was the most rewarding thing I've done in a long time...to just let go of any inhibitions I had, and open my door. Open the door to strangers who left that same door as friends.
Thank you, Sandy the Reluctant Entertainer, and I'd love to take you up on your offer for dinner! So, how far is western Kentucky from your place? {{grin}}
Even if we never enter each other's homes, girly, I'm so glad to call you a friend. May you always inspire me and others like me who need reminding how easy it is to entertain, because perfect strangers may, just maybe, become your newest and best friends.













What a great post! I loved reading your story and the great outcome of letting go of some of your worries in order to open your home!
ReplyDeleteThanks for sharing!!
blessings,
melissa